Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Are we wired differently?

    Have you ever wondered if there was a reason behind you becoming a responder? What it is that pulled you in the direction that you are currently in? Was it by accident? Was it a family legacy? Is it genetically wired into you? Does the need to help run through your blood? I know some people feel like it is a calling, some feel that calling only happened because their fathers or mothers were in  the emergency service, and that is just where they happened to land themselves. Can we even explain our decision as to why we decided to do what we do?

   I think that our personalities play a big role. Have you ever noticed that you have a tendency to always want to help? Whether it be by listening to someone, or going out of your way to make sure those around you are okay. We generally can't help who we are. People flock to us long before we ever make the decision to become a first responder. Growing up, you were the person that people came to, to talk about their problems. For some reason, you always felt that you could help them, and truthfully you really wanted to. I know I was always trusted because I kept things private. If someone confided in me, I never talked about it with anyone other than them. I not only carried my own problems, but I was willing to take on their problems as well. I fought for those who mattered to me, just so they could have an easier life.

     I can't say that all of you had similar experiences as me, all I know is that these childhood traits are still carried with me to this day. When people confide in me I feel as though it is my duty to keep it under wraps unless told otherwise. I tend to even keep others secrets from my husband, which drives him absolutely crazy. I am just a firm believer in specific conversations being personal, and confidential. I believe the "pull" we feel towards public service has a lot to do with the need to help others.

     Over time, we lose sight of our need to help, but the pull is still very much there. Many have left the field for various reasons, but I bet they are still, in their hearts the type of person who always tries to help. I've heard of people burning out, leaving their field, then many months later wishing they hadn't because they miss the job.

    It does take a special kind of person to do what we do. I firmly believe the decision is made long before we make the conscious choice. Whether it be any field of helping, the pull is there it just may come in different variants. Those who need to protect others end up in the military or law enforcement. The never ending pull to care for others on a deeper level leads some to become Doctors or nurses. The need to help others, care for them, to listen to them, along with the need to feel adrenaline pump through your veins, those become firefighters and EMTs.

It is in our blood, our personality makes it possible to do the unthinkable, at all costs. This is just my opinion. There are no scientific facts to back my theory, it is simply how I explain the pull I have felt as a responder.

How would you explain your experience?

RU-Responders Unite

3 comments:

  1. RU: thank you for this blog. I am a new EMT and I really enjoyed reading this and it gave me some great insight into myself. You are an excellent writer as well. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, i have the same feelings. Sorry for deleting the first comment.

    ReplyDelete